Ethel Jorge, PhD
Associate Professor of Spanish
Ph.D., The Union Institute, Ohio
B.A., M.A., Universidad de la Habana
- Community-Based Spanish Practicum I (SPAN31)
- Spanish in the Community: Children of Immigration (SPAN100)
- Latin American Cultural Diaspora (SPAN186)
- Expressions of Latin American Popular Cultures (SPAN187)
- Documenting Spanish Speaking Cultures in Our Community (SPAN188)
- Seminar on Contemporary Issues in the Spanish World (SPAN189)
- Senior Research Seminar (SPAN199)
Selected Works (Publications and Films):
- “The Intergenerational Aspects of an Undergraduate Community-Based Spanish Learning Program,” Journal of Intergenerational Relationships, vol.9, no.3 (August 2011).
- “Assessing the Value of a Community-based Approach to Language and Cultural Learning: A Longitudinal Study,” Journal of Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, vol.11, no.1 (January 2011).
- "Where's the Community?" Hispania, vol.93, no.1 (March 2010).
- “Un Ritual de Intimidad” (DVD/documentary), 2010. Screenings were held at: Edelstein Center for Social Research in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, October 28, 2010; Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese regional conference, Pasadena, CA, October 30, 2010; Centre Social et Culturel Georges Brassens Paris, France, November 10, 2010; Costa Rica International Film Festival, Montezuma, Costa Rica, November 18-21, 2010;and Blastallet Cultural Center, Gothenburg, Sweden, December 7, 2010.
- "A Conversation about Language Teaching and Social Justice," Hispania, vol.91.no.1 (March 2008).
- "Moving beyond the Classroom: Creating Community-Based Learning Opportunities to Enhance Language Learning". Hispania, vol.91, no.1 (March 2008).
- "Community-based Spanish Language and Culture Program," inMartha J. LaBare, ed., First-Year Civic Engagement: Sound Foundations for College, Citizenship and Democracy. New York: New York Times and The National Resource Center for the First-Year Experience and Students in Transition, 2007.
- Exploring Spanish across the Curriculum: Garment Workers in Los Angeles,” Hispania, vol.89, no.1 (March 2006).
- Recent Conferences and Invited Talks:
“Spanish in the Community and Children of Immigrants,” paper presented at the Annual Conference of the American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese, Guadalajara, Mexico, July 10-13, 2010.
- “Community-Based Learning: How? When? Why?” workshop offered at Annual Conference of the American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese, Guadalajara, Mexico, July 10-13, 2010.
- “Uruguayan Cultural Practices of Intimacy,” paper presented at the Blastallet Cultural Center, Gothenburg, Sweden, December 7, 2010.
Selected Grants, Awards, and Honors:
- Associate Editor, Hispania, the national refereed journal of the Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese (AATSP), 2009-present.