University of Utah Ph.D. 1982 mathematics
University of California, Berkeley M.A. with honors 1978 mathematics
University of California, Berkeley A.B. 1976 mathematics
Fields of Specialization
low-dimensional topology, knot theory, computer applications to knot theory and topology
1998 Professor Pitzer College
Summer 1998 Visiting Scholar University of Hawaii, Manoa, HI
1992-1998 Associate Professor Pitzer College
Spring 1997 Member Mathematical Sciences Research Institute, Berkeley, CA
Summer 1992 Visiting Scholar University of Melbourne, Australia
1989-1992 Assistant Professor Pitzer College
1988-1989 Visiting Assistant Professor Pomona College
1986-1988 Assistant Professor Oregon State University
1983-1986 Hill Assistant Professor Rutgers University
1982-1983 NSF Postdoctoral Research Fellow Courant Institute, New York University
Honors and Awards
Scholar in Residence Pitzer College Fall 1999
Rutgers University Research FellowshipNSF Postdoctoral Research Fellowship Rutgers UniversityCourant Institute Summer 19851982-83
Graduate Research Fellowship University of Utah 1980-82
1. Pitzer College Research Grant, annual awards of various amounts to support research in low-dimensional topology and knot theory.
2. Mellon Foundation, 1996-97, $5,200, to develop Mathematica notebooks for calculus instruction.
3. NSF Instrumentation and Laboratory Improvement Grant, with
Jim Kieley, Director of Academic Com
puting, 1992-94, $32,360 matched by Pitzer College, to establish a Computer Classroom for a Liberal
4. Oregon State University Research Council Grant, 1986-87, $3900, Computer Applications to knot theory.
5. NSF Scientific Computing Research Grant, with D. Finch, R. Higdon, H. Parks, D. Solmon, 1986-87, $39,600 from NSF with $29,700 from OSU, for purchase of SUN 3/260 computer system.
6. NSF Research Grant, 1985-87, $25,800, Problems in knot theory
and applications to low-dimenstional topology.
Associate Editor, Journal of Knot Theory and Its Ramifications, 1991Organizer, Claremont Topology Seminar, various years, 1989
Lecturer, 8th-grade mathematics enrichment program, Foothill Country Day School, January-June, 1999 Reviewer, Task Contributor, and
Consultant, New Standards Project, 1994-1997, 1999-2000 Reviewer, NSF grant proposals, 1984
Referee of journal manuscripts, 1983
Co-organizer, Claremont Mathematics Colloquium, 1989-90
Co-organizer, with Dale Rolfsen, 1987-88, Pacific Northwest Topology Seminar Thesis advisor for Helmut Doll, M.A., Oregon State University, 1986-88
1. Sewn-up r-link exteriors, Ph.D thesis, University of Utah, Pacific J. of Math. 112 no. 2 (1984), 347-382.
2. The Arf invariant of a totally proper link, Topology Appl. 18 (1984), 163-177.
3. The first coefficient of the Conway polynomial, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 95 no. 2 (1985), 299-302.
4. A new polynomial invariant of knots and links, with D. Freyd,
W.B.R. Lickorish, K. Millett, A. Ocneanu,
and P. Yetter, Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 12 no. 2 (1985), 239-246. Reprinted in New Developments
in the Theory of Knots, T. Kohno, ed., Advanced Series in Mathematical Physics 11, World Scientific,
5. A polynomial invariant of knots and links, Pacific J. Math 124 no. 2 (1986), 295-320.
6. A formula for Casson's invariant, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 297 no. 2 (1986), 547-562.
7. An invariant of dichromatic links, with Jozef Przytycki,
Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 105 no. 4 (1989),
8. Dichromatic link invariants, with Mark Kidwell, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 321 no. 1 (1990), 197-229.
9. Homotopy skein modules of orientable 3-manifolds, with Jozef Przytycki, Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc. 108 (1990),475-488.
10. Unknotting operations involving trivial tangles, with Y. Nakanishi and K. Taniyama, Osaka J. Math. 22 (1990), 555-566.
11. Minimal atlases on 3-manifolds, with F. Gonzalez-Acuna and J.C. Gomez-Larranaga, Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc. 109 (1991), 105-115.
12. A tabulation of oriented links, with Helmut Doll, Math. Comp. 57 no. 196 (1991), 747-761.
13. A survey of skein modules of 3-manifolds, with Jozef Przytycki,
Knots 90 (A. Kawauchi, eds.), Pro
ceedings of the International Conference on Knots, Osaka, Japan, 1990, Walter de Gruyter & Co.,
14. Instructors manual for Encounters with Chaos by D. Gulick, McGraw Hill, 1992.
15. The (2, oo)-skein module of lens spaces; a generalization of the Jones polynomial, with Jozef Przytycki, J. Knot Theory Ram. 2 no. 3 (1993), 321-333.
16. Tabulating alternating knots through 14 crossings, with
B. Arnold, M. Au, C. Candy, K. Erdener, J.
Fan, R. Flynn, R. Muir, and D. Wu, J. Knot Theory Ram. 3 no. 4 (1994), 433-437.
17. The (2, oo)-skein module of Whitehead manifolds, with Jozef
Przytycki, J. Knot Theory Ram. 4 no. 3
18. The Kauffman bracket skein module of S' X S2, With Jozef Przytycki, Math. Z. 220 (1995), 65-73.
19. Framed link diagrams of open 3-manifolds, in Knots '96,
Proceedings of the Fifth International Research
Institute of Mathematical Society of Japan, Waseda Univ., Tokyo, 1996, S. Suzuki ed., World Scientific,
20. Open 3-manifolds with infinitely many knot-surgery descriptions, in Knots '96, Proceedings of the Fifth International Research Institute of Mathematical Society of Japan, Waseda Univ., Tokyo, 1996, S. Suzuki ed., World Scientific, (1997), 539-543.
21. Tangle surgeries which preserve Jones-type polynomials,
with Jozef Przytycki, Int. J. Math. 8 no. 8 (1997) 1015-1027.
22. The first 1,701,936 knots, with Morwen Thistlethwaite and Jeff Weeks, Math. Intelligencer 20 no. 4 (1998) 33-48.
23. Fractal, Topology, Knot Theory, Encyclopedia of Science,
Technology and Society, R. Volti ed., Facts
on File, Inc., (1999) 428-430, 568-569, 1046-1048.
24. Trace fields of twist knots, with Patrick Shanahan, J. Knot
Theory Ram. 10 no. 4 (2001) 625-639.
Manuscripts in Preparation or Submitted for Publication
25. A statistical survey of skein polynomials of knots, in preparation.
26. Charles Newton Little: America's first knot theorist, with Jozef Przytycki and Charles Christenson, in preparation.
27. Introduction to foliation theory, M.A. thesis, directed by Morris Hirsch, University of California, Berkeley, 1978.
28. An invariant of link diagrams preserved by flypes and an approach to a conjecture of Tait, 1985.
29. A proof of a theorem of Hodgson, with Patrick Shanahan, 2001.
1. KnotScape, with M. Thistlethwaite, a program to provide easy access to the knot tables, compute knot invariants, draw knot diagrams, etc, and designed to run on a plain UNIX-box. May be downloaded from http://www.math.utk.edu/` morwen.
1. Sewing up link exteriors and knots with Property R, AMS meeting 790, Austin, Texas, Nov 6-7, 1981.
2. Sewn up r-link exteriors and knots with Property R, Georgia Topology Conference, Athens, GA, 1982.
3. On Casson's Invariant of homology 3-spheres, Rutgers Topology Conference, New Brunswick, NJ, June 1986.
4. Invariants of labeled links, AMS meeting 828, Logan, UT, Oct 10-11, 1986.
5. An invariant of dichromatic links, Fourth Annual Western Workshop in Geometric Topology, OSU, Corvallis, OR, June 18-20, 1987.
6. Dichromatic link invariants, AMS meeting 838, Los Angeles, CA, Nov 14-15, 1987.
7. Skein modules of 3-manifolds, AMS meeting 849, Chicago, IL, May 19-20, 1989.
8. The (2, oo) -skein module of lens spaces; a generalization of the Jones polynomial, International Conference on Knots 90, Osaka, Japan, August 15-19, 1990.
9. Minimal atlases on 3-manifolds, International Conference on Knots '90, Osaka, Japan, August 15-19, 1990.
10. Skein modules of open contractible 3-manifolds, AMS meeting 861, Denton, TX, Nov 2-3, 1990.
11. Skein modules of Whitehead type manifolds, 25th Annual Spring Topology Conference, Sacremento, CA, April 11-13, 1991.
12. Distinct links with equal Jones polynomials, distinct manifolds with equal Witten invariants, XXIV Congresso Nacional de la Sociedad de Matematica Mexicana, Oaxtepec, Mexico, Nov 10-16, 1991.
13. Skein modules of 3-manifolds, XXIV Congresso Nacional de la Sociedad de Matematica Mexicana, Oaxtepec, Mexico, Nov 10-16, 1991.
14. Infinite framed link diagrams for open 3-manifolds, AMS meeting 893, Eugene, OR, June 16-18, 1994.
15. Infinite framed link diagrams for open 3-manifolds, Knots at Huia, Huia, New Zealand, December 10-20, 1994.
16. Open 3-manifolds with infinitely many knot-surgery descriptions, Knots '96, Waseda University, Tokyo, Japan, July 22-26, 1996.
17. Recent progress in knot tabulation and demonstration of
the computer software KnotScape, Workshop
on Computational and Algorithmic Methods in 3-Dimensional Topology, at Math. Sci. Research Inst., Berkeley, CA, March 10-14, 1997.
18. The first 1,701,936 knots: recent progress in knot tabulation, University of Sussex Conference in Low Dimensional Topology, Roger Fenn organizer, Isle of Thornes, England, April 11-14, 1997.
19. Knot Tabulation, Knotscape, and skein polynomials, Workshop in Computation in Low-dimensional Topology, Benny Evans and William Jaco organizers, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK, March 4-7, 1999.
20. Trace fields of twist knots, with Patrick Shanahan, AMS meeting 962, New Orleans, LA, January 10-13, 2001.
21. Trace fields of hyperbolic knots, with Patrick Shanahan, AMS meeting 973, San Diego, CA, January 6-9, 2002.
Selected Recent Invited Talks
1. California State University, San Luis Obispo, Mathematics Colloquium, January, 2002.
2. University of California, Riverside, Topology Seminar, December, 2000.
3. California Institute of Technology, Topology Seminar, October, 2000.
4. University of Idaho, Mathematics Colloquium, March 2000
5. California Institute of Technology, Topology Seminar, February, 2000
6. California State University, San Bernadino, Mathematics Colloquium, May, 1998
7. University of Redlands, Mathematics Colloquium, November, 1997
8. Harvey Mudd College, Computer Science Colloquium, September, 1997
9. University of California, Irvine, Topology Seminar, November